244 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10016, USA
Support 24/7
Student Advice

Free Education in the USA

Free Education in the USA

American education is one of the most effective and prestigious in the whole world. Many people dream of studying in the US, but often high prices for study do not give this opportunity to come true. For example, the study at George Washington University costs almost $40,500 for the the academic year, without considering the cost of textbooks and payment of accommodation. In the list of the most expensive universities in the world, it follows this sequence; American Sarah Lawrence College with an annual “entrance ticket” of $40,350, Kenyon College – $40,240, Vassar College – $40,210, Becknell University – more than $36,600, But today we’ll bring you about six American universities where you can study for free!

Where can you study for free in the USA?

The Cooper Union is a prestigious private university in New York, where the number of applicants for a place is up to several dozen candidates. They admit no more than 1000 students a year. The study costs $35,000 a year, but the university pays the entire amount themselves. The Cooper Union trains bachelors and undergraduates.

Macaulay Honors College is part of The City University of New York (CUNY). This college is for those who plan to enter CUNY. Only graduates of schools are accepted here. That is, you will not be taken if you already have a bachelor’s degree. To be admitted there, you must apply simultaneously to one of the colleges CUNY and Macaulay Honors College. If both schools accept you, Macaulay Honors College will handle the cost of education. Again, you’ll get a free MacBook, an opportunity to study in USA universities as well a free pass to most of the museums and other institutions in New York. They give unique preferences to New Yorkers. However, this program is also available to international students.

Yale School of Music is part of the Yale University in Connecticut (Ivy League University). There are programs only for masters and doctors. Yale School of Music received an anonymous donation in 2005, which triggered a 100% discount on study for each student.

College of the Ozarks is a private college in Missouri, offering only undergraduate programs. 235th in the Forbes rating (top 5%), the College of the Ozarks provides a Work Program, with which you can earn about $ 4,060 per year for study, plus the college will add the right amount to pay for studies. If you do not have any additional grants and scholarships, the university will allocate $ 13,540 to help you with payment.

Berea College is a private college in Kentucky which offers education only to bachelors. The school ranked 210th in the Forbes rating (top 5%) and also pays 100% of the costs associated with education. Hence you do not have to pay $24,100 per year. Berea College operates the Work Program and provides all students with campus work. Although the salary is minimal – (about $1,200 per year), it allows you to partially pay for housing and other expenses (about $6,500 per year). International students will also have to pay $1,000 per year (every year except for the first year of study), but the college offers summer work for international students to help them accumulate this amount. When you confirm receipt, you will have to pay a deposit of $2,200, which you can use for university expenses during your studies.

In 2009, another university opened in the United States, which needs attention – this is the University of the People. It’s an online university, which teaches professors of various American educational institutions. The idea is to provide an opportunity for all those who have not been able to attend a traditional university for some reason, to get an education. This college teaches at no cost while it offers study in only two specialties – “business management” and “computer technology.”

As you can see, even in the USA there is an opportunity to get a free higher education. Of course, being admitted to one of these universities is not easy but are worth trying. You can read all exams and competitions on the websites of college.

Previous ArticleNext Article
Olivia Stephens
I wrote for periodicals last few years and I believe that now this experience continually helps me. Experience in the media gave me many other advantages. I know how to look for information not only on the Internet. I know how to use archives, how to get the right information from people, how to conduct real investigations. Thanks to the studying at the university, I efficiently collect unique material for my papers.


  1. Explain in more detail how to study in the US at the least cost and most efficiently?

    There is a lot of information about education. I have two friends studying there – both have a completely different view of what and how to do.

    Baseline: 34 years, I have two higher educations, a web design course at a university, the availability of a tourist visa, which is planned to be translated into a real not fictitious student visa:

    Where is a start point? Should I search websites of universities in the section for international students?

    Whether to translate diplomas and send confirmed translations in universities? Is it worth it to do?

    How to get discounts or scholarships for studying and who takes this decision and on what grounds?

    1. 1. Write what specialty you want a study, because it is not at all clear.

      2. What certificate do you plan to receive – the second bachelor, or master degree.

      Depending on the answers to these questions, there will be easy to understand of whether you will have to pass the tests – GMAT, GRE, and language exams like TOEFL, and which universities to watch the education programs.

      You need to look at admission requirements as an international student on university websites, and the payment will be different as non-resident/out-of-state. In private universities a payment for all students of the same program is equal, but it will be about the same as non-resident tuition.

      If you pass the entrance exams very well and will favorably differ in other parameters (previous experience, recommendations, volunteering) from other candidates, then perhaps you will receive a merit-based scholarship. Similarly, graduate students have more opportunities to get financial help – working as a laboratory assistant, assistant professor, or doing some research work.

      It will also be necessary to provide documents on the previous education for the evaluation. There are no general requirements (except for several law schools that work with LSAC) – each university has its own rules and its requirements.

      1. I have not yet decided what profession to get for living in the US on the basis of the knowledge already received in my country. I obtain education not because of collecting diplomas. I just want to find my place.

        Thank you very much for your answer!

    2. If after receiving the two higher educations you still have the desire to learn, then the next step is Ph.D. Or, if you do not want such a large-scale and protracted education, then just go to the specialized courses in the required specialty. And the third master’s degree is not necessary. Employers, as a rule, do not take to the work collectioners of beautiful diplomas.

  2. Where can I study in the US after the 5th year of higher education? Are there any preparatory language courses, but that I could legally live there for 1 year? I’m interested in the part-day study. How expensive is it to study there?

    1. Better to enter to the graduate school for a master’s, PhD, or professional degree (JD, MD, etc.). But the latter is worth doing only if you stay in the US.

      As for language courses, they will not give you a visa. It will be challenging to find work for half a day. F1 is usually given for full-time training.

      Studying fees depend on the chosen school.

      If you enter the graduate school, choose the direction, and start the preparation for the initial tests now. In some schools, the deadline for submitting documents is a few months before the start of the school year. And you still need to pass tests, prepare transcripts from your university, collect recommendations, write an essay, etc. This is a long process and is not done in a couple of months.

  3. Is there any option to send a child after the 11th grade of secondary school in Russia is studying in the US college and at the same time find a job. He wants to study and earn financing to pay for education.

    1. Work with such a visa is still tricky because this work should be tied to the campus. For example, working at a college bookstore. Perhaps this condition can be circumvented somewhere in New York, being a waiter for cash, but my friend in California was confronted with the fact that if the college becomes aware that she is working, they send a report immediately to the immigration service.

  4. Tell me please where to look at information about grants, scholarships, any programs for international students?

    1. What degree are you interested in B/M/PhD? The algorithm changes depending on the degree. With each university, there are a lot of funds that can pay for education. If you are worthy, funding is usually provided (for PhD).

  5. This year I finish the 11th class of the school. I want to go to America to study in 12th grade to get used to another environment and to tighten the English language level, pass the SAT exam. Are there any schools in which I can study and live? That is, boarding schools? How much does a year of study cost and what documents I need?

    The problem is that to I enter the university I need a 12-year education. Is it possible to get American High School Diploma for 1 year of study?

    1. What grounds do you intend to cross the bord of the USA, go to school?

      To answer the questions, you need to find schools that offer study and accommodation. When you find it, read the requirements – what you need to do, what documents to collect, how much does study costs and so on.

      Look for “private high school room and boarding.” For example, there is one such school 50 miles from New York – The Storm King School. The year of residence and study there costs $ 51,425.

      All International applicants, please submit the following:

      1) Admissions Application Forms.
      2) Application Fee of $ 125.00.
      3) English and Math Reference Forms.
      4) Current Transcripts and Grades.
      5) Interview.
      6) SSAT or approved testing.
      7) Copy of passport.
      8) Financial affidavit.

      They issue the I-20 form for international students, but only after this student was enrolled in the school and submitted all the necessary documents. You also need to pay a deposit of $ 10,000.

      You can’t go to the regular public school.